David Lloyd-Jones (1928-1994) was one of the most technically assured of the Leach-inspired potters to emerge in the 1960s. Interested in the work of Indian potters while on army service, he made pots with Helen Pincombe at Guildford School of Art in the 1950s. But it was not until 1962 that he set up a workshop in York, where he remained until the end of his life.
Very committed to making affordable functional pieces in both stoneware and porcelain, there was a generosity and rounded quality about Lloyd-Jones’s work, his noble jugs and lidded jars were strong in form, typified by lustrous glazes, some of their bolder qualities akin to Michael Casson’s work, but more Anglo-Oriental in feeling. Lloyd-Jones was no imitator though, his pieces were those of a distinctly 20th century craftsman.