Some of the best slipware of the 1940s and 50s was produced by Sidney (1913-2005) and Charles (1921-1996) Tustin at Winchcombe Pottery in Gloucestershire. Sidney joined the workshop in 1927 and his brother eight years later, both being apprenticed to Michael Cardew and continuing to work for Ray Finch after Cardew moved to Cornwall. The brothers made a variety of tableware, the work typified by vigorous slip and finger decoration and rich glazing over deep red earthenware forms. The work was full of life and vigour, and the fluid practised ease of highly experienced craftsmen.
Charles Tustin left the pottery in 1954 and worked in a local paper mill until retirement. Sidney stayed on at Winchcombe until 1978, producing slipware for several years after the rest of the pottery had converted to stoneware.